Muon catalysed fusion is so exciting because, unlike all other forms of energy production currently available, it is CLEAN & GREEN, SAFE, AFFORDABLE & EFFICIENT.
- This one energy source has the potential to end the world’s reliance on fossil and fissionable fuels – thereby combating climate change.
- The ONLY fuel Star Scientific Limited’s muon catalysed fusion uses is deuterium – a naturally occurring isotope of hydrogen which is abundantly available in sea water, and can be easily and economically extracted without harming or polluting the remaining water.
- The world’s oceans contain enough deuterium to supply many, many generations.
- Just one cubic kilometre of deuterium rich ocean contains the energy equivalent of the entire known oil reserves on Earth.
- The reason this technology is so ground breaking is that no harmful emissions are produced at all – including greenhouse and carbon dioxide gases – because the process does not require the burning of fossil fuels to liberate energy.
- The only “waste” produced is helium exhaust – a harmless, inert gas which is naturally occurring in the atmosphere and does not accumulate.
- Unlike current fission nuclear reactors, no fissionable materials – such as uranium or plutonium – are used in Star Scientific Limited’s muon catalysed fusion system – so there is NO POSSIBILITY of an accident, leak or meltdown.
- Muon catalysed fusion cannot be used to create a nuclear weapon – it is totally incompatible to weaponry of any type because there are no fissionable materials – such as uranium or plutonium – used in the process.
- The ONLY fuel Star Scientific Limited’s process uses to generate energy is deuterium – a naturally occurring molecule abundantly available in sea water.
- Neutrons produced within Star Scientific Limited’s muon catalysed fusion system are used up in the heating process.
- For a power station to produce one gigawatt of power for one year continuously it would need:
– 4.4 million tonnes of black coal or
– 10.8 million tonnes of brown coal or
– 1.3 tonnes of uranium-235 (from 35 tonnes of uranium oxide or 210 tonnes of uranium ore)
This compares to only 150 kilograms of deuterium, extracted from two Olympic-size pools of sea water, to achieve the same output using Star Scientific Limited’s muon catalysed fusion process.
- A Star Scientific Limited designed muon energy generator can be built to virtually any size depending upon the requirement.
- In a conventional nuclear power plant, 75% of construction costs relate to safety precautions. As Star Scientific Limited’s muon catalysed fusion uses no fissionable materials, there is no risk of meltdown, leak or explosion – so power plant construction costs would fall by 75%.
- The roll out of this technology would drive a new green economy, with industries being created and struggling sectors rejuvenated through access to cheap, clean energy.